cURL on devices with unstable internet connection

From: Alexander Shashkevych <alexander_at_stunpix.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2012 16:19:34 +0300

Hi all,

  I'm engineer which is porting webkit browser for car head unit and we are
using curl as http(s) backend in our project. We have following use case:
internet access established via mobile phone and it's unstable. In some
cases phone loses internet connection when curl still downloading some
resources. Within 10-20 seconds connection is restored, but curl no longer
downloading any resources.

 I read FAQ page and there was noted that curl unable to detect situations
like "unplugged cables", so it looks similar to our use case with broken
connection. In curl error codes I also not found any code that could be
informative about abnormal temination of downloading process...

  As I understood there is only one option: use timeouts? Maybe there some
other solutions are exist to determine such unexpectendly broken
connections instead of timeouts? Maybe I missed something?

*Best regards,*
*Alexander*