Re: Questions on building libcurl for Android

From: Ram <ram.nw1_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 02:35:51 -0700

On Sun, Aug 26, 2012 at 6:40 AM, Guenter <lists_at_gknw.net> wrote:

> Please read also the Android section in ./docs/INSTALL for an alternative
> way to compile libcurl for Android - and this should also work fine on
> Windows since the Android NDK Toolchain is available for Windows as well
> (IIRC you will also need Cygwin).

Thanks Guenter, this was helpful and I created a cross-compile Android NDK
toolchain for standalone use (on my Windows 7 machine).
I also defined variables like $ export
CC=/cygdrive/c/TestDir/android-ndk-r8b/toolchains/standalone-arm-4.4.3/bin/arm-linux-androideabi-gcc.exe
and similarly for AR, LD, AS, NM, RANLIB.

However, running configure (in cygwin) resulted in the following error
(probably caused by Google's lack of support for the standalone toolchain
in cygwin)
* configure: error: in
`/cygdrive/C/TestDir/ExternalTools/sources/curllib':
*
Android NDK documentation (android-ndk-r8b\docs\STANDALONE-TOOLCHAIN.html )
says "the bad news is that they do not understand the Cygwin path
specification like /cygdrive/c/foo/bar " and "NOTE: There is no plan to
support Cygwin / MSys at the moment".

After running the configure script for curllib, Config.log error says

*arm-linux-androideabi-gcc.exe: unrecognized option '-qversion'
arm-linux-androideabi-gcc.exe: no input files
configure:4201: $? = 1
configure:4222: checking for C compiler default output file name
configure:4244:
/cygdrive/c/TestDir/android-ndk-r8b/toolchains/standalone-arm-4.4.3/bin/arm-linux-androideabi-gcc
conftest.c >&5
arm-linux-androideabi-gcc.exe: CreateProcess: No such file or directory
configure:4248: $? = 1
configure:4285: result:
configure:4291: error: in
`/cygdrive/C/TestDir/ExternalTools/sources/curllib':
configure:4295: error: C compiler cannot create executables
*

OTH "*$ which arm-linux-androideabi-gcc.exe*" shows the correct cygwin path
for *arm-linux-androideabi-gcc.exe* even though "configure" complained
about *"arm-linux-androideabi-gcc.exe: CreateProcess: No such file or
directory"*.

I'm guessing that the failures are related to Google not supporting cygwin
for the standalone toolchain.
Does anyone have suggestions on possible solutions like translating all
cygwin pathnames for the standalone toolchain compilers (or other
solutions) ?

Thanks Ram