Questions on building libcurl for Android

From: Ram A <ram.nw1_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2012 19:12:43 -0700

Hi, I downloaded the libcurl source code and was hoping to build it for
Android.
Android.mk (in the libcurl download) seems to suggest that I should start a
build for the entire Android source tree in order to build libcurl
However, http://source.android.com/source/initializing.html says that
building Android is not supported on Windows (yes, I'll confess. I'm
running Windows 7 on my dev machine)

Though unsupported, I'm guessing it isn't impossible to build Android and
then build libcurl on a Windows machine. However, even if it can be done,
I'm not sure if it can be accomplished in a reasonable amount of time. (I'm
not a build/makefile expert though I managed to build other libraries like
Box2D,libxml2 for Android)
So I'm hoping you can help me with a couple of questions

1. Is there a good way to use a Windows machine to build curllib without
trying to build Android ?

2 My libcurl needs are limited. I just need to make HTTP POST and HTTP GET
requests (obviously I also need to inspect responses to the requests, set
request headers etc).
I don't need any other libcurl functionality.
So does anyone have suggestions on building a ".a" file with a limited
subset of libcurl source code and will this eliminate the need to build the
Android source code ?
(of course, I don't mind building a ".a" file with the entire libcurl
source code, my goal is just to simplify the build process)

3. Any other suggestions on building libcurl for Android (using a Windows
machine) will also be appreciated.