RE: release agony

From: Joe Mason <jmason_at_rim.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 15:26:18 +0000

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3545398&group_id=976&atid=100976 is pretty important. Basically none of the auth status (authproblem, auth picked, NTLM state, digest nonce, etc) is cleared between uses of a handle (at least using curl_easy_reset, but possibly even when using curl_easy_init to get a whole new curl handle - I think some of them are held per-connection). Result is that when making a second request which should be entirely independant, weird things happen including: Digest auth ignoring new WWW-Authenticate headers and using an old nonce; NTLM auth printing "NTLM handshake failure (internal error)" because it receives an "NTLM" to begin the handshake and it's still marked as being in the middle of a handshake (even though the previous handshake actually finished); or an auth type which was enabled for the first request being chosen for the second request even though it is not in CURLOPT_AUTH any more, because "picked" is still set from the first request and nobody ever checks t
hat it's still valid.

On the other hand, AFAICT this is not a regression, so maybe it shouldn't block the release.

I tried a couple of fixes that I hoped would be a magic bullet, but all of them fixed one error and caused another one to pop up elsewhere. I'm currently almost done writing a complete suite of test cases for this (done 5 of 9) since the interactions are so complex that we need test coverage before making any changes.

After I post those I'm definitely going to need some help fixing it...

Joe