SSPI/Schannel Config_Literal voting rules

From: Michael Wood <esiotrot_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 11:29:33 +0200

Hi Yang

On 27 June 2012 18:43, Yang Tse <yangsita_at_gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> For the Config_Literal voting:
>
> [Config_Literal="SCHANNEL"] option would result in configure option
> being named --with-SCHANNEL, and for other build systems WITH_SCHANNEL
> or ENABLE_SCHANNEL.
>
> [Config_Literal="WINDOWS_SSL"] option would result in configure option
> being named --with-WINDOWS_SSL, and for other build systems
> WITH_WINDOWS_SSL or ENABLE_WINDOWS_SSL.
>
> [Config_Literal="schannel"] option would result in configure option
> being named --with-schannel, and for other build systems WITH_SCHANNEL
> or ENABLE_SCHANNEL.
>
> [Config_Literal="winssl"] option would result in configure option
> being named --with-winssl, and for other build systems WITH_WINSSL or
> ENABLE_WINSSL.

I feel part 2 of the rules was not completely clear wrt. casing and
did not mention dashes vs. underscores. Based on your clarifications
it seems that the current rules will force the variables for other
build systems to uppercase, but leave them as-is for configure. Also,
underscores appear to be left as underscores in both cases.

Based on your interpretation of the rules, what would
[Config_Literal="windows-ssl"] look like for other build systems? (I
assume for configure it would look like --with-windows-ssl?)

Would it make sense to tweak the rules so that the proposed name is
forced to lowercase with dashes for the configure options and forced
to uppercase with underscores for the other build systems?

Then the proposals would look like this:

[Config_Literal="SCHANNEL"]
configure: --with-schannel
other: WITH_SCHANNEL or ENABLE_SCHANNEL

[Config_Literal="WINDOWS_SSL"]
configure: --with-windows-ssl
other: WITH_WINDOWS_SSL or ENABLE_WINDOWS_SSL

[Config_Literal="schannel"]
configure: --with-schannel
other: WITH_SCHANNEL or ENABLE_SCHANNEL
(This would then be the same as the first option.)

[Config_Literal="winssl"]
configure: --with-winssl
other: WITH_WINSSL or ENABLE_WINSSL

I don't think this proposal contradicts the rules mentioned in your
first e-mail, but I suppose even if it does, I'd like to know if you
think it makes sense :)

--
Michael Wood <esiotrot_at_gmail.com>