Re: Windows SSPI Schannel implementation ready

From: Marc Hoersken <info_at_marc-hoersken.de>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 17:49:17 +0200

2012/6/12 Yang Tse <yangsita_at_gmail.com>:
> SSPI is already present in libcurl's feature list when in use, so...
>
> Why do we need to show the security.dll or secur32.dll version in
> libcurl's version string, and additionally dress it up as WinSSPI?
>
> These two are system libraries the same as all other system libs that
> might be used, such as kernel32, normaliz, wldap32 and ws2_32, for
> which we don't show any version info. The user/developer has very
> little choice relative to which version is used.

That is a very good point. Basically we do now show the Windows
version, because that is what the security.dll/secur32.dll version is
tied to.

> Additionally showing that info introduces another library dependency
> which didn't exist up to now.

Also another good point.

> My opinion is to get rid of it, unless someone tells us why we badly need it.

Since I am not the originator of the idea to change the version
information and just had the SSPI interface version in my first
schannel implementation being shown, just like the OpenSSL version, I
do not have any strong opinion on this matter. It would be good if you
(Daniel, Steve, Yang) could decide on what to do here.

I do understand and support Yang's arguments, but I also understand
that we need to figure out a good way to illustrate the features
provided by SSPI or any other security provider.

Best regards,
Marc