RE: Windows SSPI Schannel implementation ready

From: Steve Holme <steve_holme_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 19:43:13 +0100

Hi Daniel,

On Mon, 11 Jun 2012, Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> A question I have is about the removal of CURL_VERSION_SSPI.
> What's the gain in removing this bit? We're set to keep the API
> backwards compatible so we better not remove the definition
> from the header file, but won't there also be one or a few
> applications existing that actually checks that bit to see if
> libcurl is built with SSPI?

That was my doing... The rational for that was:

We had discussed that SSPI was a library / provider of security features
such a Security Contexts (GSS-Nego, NTLM, etc...) and now SSL and as such
should not appear on the features list in the same way that OpenSSL or
GNUTLS don't.
Removing CURL_VERSION_SSPI from the features array (in src\tool_getparam.c)
and the features part of the version struct (lib\version.c) then left the
only reference in curl.h
As such I then obsoleted the #define and commented it as such rather than
removing it completely.

Do we need to keep this in for API compatibility? NTLM, GSS-Negotiate and
SSL tell the developer the features that the Windows SSPI library provides.

Kind Regards

Steve