Re: host.name vs. host.dispname

From: Gisle Vanem <gvanem_at_broadpark.no>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2012 01:12:51 +0200

"Daniel Stenberg" <daniel_at_haxx.se> wrote.

>> I mean, the "(nil)" looks ugly. So to give a nicer trace, when 'host.name'
>> is known, why not use that instead when 'host.dispname' is NULL?
>
> I don't get to see this. How do you get it like this? What name resolver is
> this libcurl built to use?

The standard AFAICS. I used '-DENABLE_IPV6' and no C-ares; so CURLRES_IPV6
and CURLRES_SYNCH becomes defined (ref. setup.h). I tried with C-ares too. But
with the same "(nil)" in the trace. I fail to see that this is a resolver fault.

>> What is the purpose of setting 'host.dispname' to NULL anyway? An oversight?
>
> I can only spot one place dispname gets assigned, and that is in the beginning
> of lib/url.c:fix_hostname() ...

Unless we use a proxy (I don't) or it's a fresh connection (not reusing).
So couldn't 'host.dispname' become undefined when reusing the connection
(following or what not)?

> Right. Unless we can make dispname not be NULL at one single place first
> instead. Do you think that would be possible?

We could maybe hack ConnectionExists() instead. I don't understand the
details of it.

--gv