Re: defining CURL_STATICLIB in libcurl.pc

From: Mark Brand <mabrand_at_mabrand.nl>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2012 15:42:37 +0200

Hi Daniel,

>> -DCURL_STATICLIB should appear in libcurl.pc only when libcurl is
>> built only as a static library. I imagine this should be sensitive
>> to the configure option '--disable-shared'.
>
> Most builds are likely to build both shared and static libraries,
> since that's what configure does by default.

I could have and should have been more succinct. The essence of my
suggestion is to add -DCURL_STATICLIB to libcurl.pc if and only if the
build is configured with "--disable-shared". This is just a convenience
for static-only setups.

The next paragraph was just commentary:

>> This solution is not suitable for a configuration building both
>> static and shared libcurl, but I don't think this can be done using
>> mingw anyway, which is the important case.
>
> The important case for you, yes. libcurl.pc and friends are generic
> for many systems though...

By "important case", I mean Windows and MinGW in particular. It's
"important" because the "_imp" prefix decorations that otherwise result
are a problem for linking to static libcurl. But this paragraph can be
safely ignored anyway.

regards,

Mark