Not able to compile curl with ssl support in a diferent than default folder

From: Guiu Rocafort <neandertalspeople_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 18:09:22 +0200

Hello curl !

I'm trying to install curl with ssl support in a different folder than the
default one. I'm having troubles because i'm not able to make the
./configure script recognise the openssl installation ( which again is in
not the default folder ).

So these are the steps I'm doing.

First I compile and install opensll in the folder:

export PREFIX= #some empty folder where I want to install openssl and curl
cd openssl-1.0.1c
./configure --prefix=$PREFIX
make
make test
make install

Then I set the environment variables:

export PATH=$PREFIX/bin:$PATH
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$PREFIX/lib/pkconfig/:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$PREFIX/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Ok, now I guess I should be ready to try to compile curl.

cd curl-7.25.0

Attempt 1:
./configure --prefix=$PREFIX --with-ssl

It didn't detect openssl from environment variables, so I then tryed:
./configure --prefix=$PREFIX --with-ssl=$PREFIX
and also:
./configure --prefix=$PREFIX --with-ssl=$PREFIX/openssl
and:
./configure --prefix=$PREFIX --with-ssl=$PREFIX/include/openssl
also:
./configure --prefix=$PREFIX --with-ssl=$PREFIX/lib/

None of them worked neither, and then a different aproach:
CPPFLAGS="-I/path/to/prefix/include"
LDFLAFS="-L /path/to/prefix/lib"
./configure --prefix=$PREFIX --with-ssl

And the last try, the last ones with CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS:
./configure --prefix=$PREFIX --with-ssl=$PREFIX
./configure --prefix=$PREFIX --with-ssl=$PREFIX/openssl
./configure --prefix=$PREFIX --with-ssl=$PREFIX/include/openssl
./configure --prefix=$PREFIX --with-ssl=$PREFIX/lib/

I have not pkg-config installed and I guess I wouldn't be able to use that
since I made an openssl install in a different than default folder.

I've followed this page and I seem to have exhausted all the ways.
http://curl.haxx.se/docs/install.html

What I am doing wrong ? I am missing something ? I would be very pleased if
someone helps me out.

Thanks in advance
Guiu Rocafort