Re: connecting to proxies without specifying remote host

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 20:04:29 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 30 Apr 2012, eli wrote:

> I'm trying to test proxies using libcurl, and as it appears I'm forced to go
> in (at least) 2 stages:

You mean you want to probe the proxies to check what protocol they support? It
is very unusual that you know of a proxy but don't know what protocol to use
with it...

> 1. Connect using SOCKS5 protocol, then SOCKS4, then HTTP in order to find
> the type of the proxy

> 2. Connect to proxy judge in order to find out the anonymity level of the
> proxy
>
> As I understand I don't need to connect to the proxy judge (or any other
> server for that sake) during the first stage.

"proxy judge" is not a term I'm aware of. Are you meaning the remote site that
you access through the proxy? If so, I would expect that to be really sure of
step (1) you better make sure you can reach a site properly.

> All is need is to connect to the proxy itself and see if handshake works for
> SOCKS5/SOCKS4/HTTP. Is it possible with libcurl? Or is there a workaround
> I'm not aware of?

libcurl is not a proxy probe software so no, it probably isn't ideal for that
purpose.