connecting to proxies without specifying remote host

From: eli <netloc_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 23:04:49 +0200

Hello everybody,

I'm trying to test proxies using libcurl, and as it appears I'm forced to
go in (at least) 2 stages:

1. Connect using SOCKS5 protocol, then SOCKS4, then HTTP in order to find
the type of the proxy
2. Connect to proxy judge in order to find out the anonymity level of the
proxy

As I understand I don't need to connect to the proxy judge (or any other
server for that sake) during the first stage. All is need is to connect to
the proxy itself and see if handshake works for SOCKS5/SOCKS4/HTTP. Is it
possible with libcurl? Or is there a workaround I'm not aware of?

Kind regards,