RE: SSL/TLS support using Windows SSPI Schannel API

From: Steve Holme <steve_holme_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 11:20:37 +0100

Hi All,

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 Marc Hoersken wrote:

> 2012/4/15 Steve Holme <steve_holme_at_hotmail.com>:
> >
> > As a minor point I was wondering whether curl's version
> > information should output the following instead:
>
> That's probably a good idea, but it requires changes to parts of
> libcurl which I haven't seen yet. Maybe someone else can pitch in
> here and do the required changes or point to the right direction?

I don't jumping in here - It's not an area I know much about but I will take
a look at it.

> We may also need to think about a privacy issue here, because
> the first line is actually used as the HTTP user-agent and now
> reveals the Windows version. The first two numbers of the SSPI
> DLL version indicate the Windows NT version number, in this case
> NT 6.1 == Windows 7.

That's a very valid point, however, don't most web browsers do this?

For example:

Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/5.0)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:11.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/11.0

Kind Regards

Steve