Re: curlrules.h:143: error: size of array __curl_rule_01__ is negative in RH Linux

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 14:31:36 +0200

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 11:42:14AM +0000, S, Shubha wrote:
> I have installed libcurl as instructed in Step1. Install on Linux of this link
> http://code.google.com/p/mysql-udf-http/ and when I am trying to install
> mysql-udf I am getting this error:
>
> In file included from /usr/include/curl/curl.h:35,
>
> from mysql-udf-http.c:5:
>
> /usr/include/curl/curlrules.h:143: error: size of array â__curl_rule_01__â is
> negative
>
> /usr/include/curl/curlrules.h:153: error: size of array â__curl_rule_02__â is
> negative

Those install instructions are broken and dangerous. The "make install"
command is going to fail without an "sudo", and with a sudo, it will wipe out
the distribution-provided libcurl package which could destabilize the
whole system (depending on what compile options were used in the system
libcurl). What the instructions should show instead is how to build
libcurl in a private directory and have mysql-udf-http use that version.

The problem you're seeing is probably related to mixing the system and
private versions of libcurl on the same system. I don't know anything about
building mysql-udf-http, but what you'll probably find more successful is to
skip the libcurl-building step of the instructions you point to and just
install a binary RPM of a recent pre-built version of libcurl
instead. The curl download wizard at http://curl.haxx.se/dlwiz/ will
direct you to a libcurl package appropriate to your platform (there
are RHEL5 packages available, for example). Then try continuing the
instructions after the libcurl-building step and see if you have better
luck.

>>> Dan