linking libcurl against newly built openssl package gives undefined references

From: Bruce Cartland <bruce.cartland_at_pobox.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 12:37:30 +1100

In Ubuntu 10.4 I have the prebuilt package openssl 0.9.8k (just
updated). I downloaded the equivalent source from launchpad and rebuilt
(because I wanted to use "no-asm -DPURIFY") and installed to the default
locations.

My application calls openssl directly as well as through libcurl.
Linking the preinstalled libcurl package with the new openssl binaries
produces numerous errors from libcurl of the form:

libcurl.so: undefined reference to `ENGINE_get_id_at_OPENSSL_0.9.8'

The methods referenced are definitely in the new binary.

I've tried the "gcc -Wl,-rpath" approach to point the linker at the new
libs (as well as -L of course).

As I haven't built ubuntu packages from source before perhaps I'm
missing something fundamental?

(Building and running against the prepackaged binaries works fine).

thanks