Re: Is there anyone building with cmake?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 17:30:39 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 11 Mar 2012, Kamil Dudka wrote:

> I tried it and it worked, only needed to create a symlink to
> lib/config-win32.h in src, no idea why.

I think that's one of the things buildconf and friends do for the autotool
build that the cmake build still lacks.

> It is probably far from complete when compared to the auto* based builds,
> but the cmake-based build was 3x faster:

When comparing these build systems the cmake one definately wins in terms of
execution speed. A part of that difference is explained by its incompleteness
compared to the autotools version - and the biggest part probably on autoconf
and configure being slow.

Our biggest problem with cmake as I see it, is the same as when we first
incorporated it: there is hardly anyone contributing fixes to the cmake build
system. We started three years ago with the cmake build to be almost on par
with the autotools build at perhaps 80% level but covering all the popular
configurations pretty good.

Over time, we've continuted to get a steady stream of configure fixes and even
many general win32 build fixes of the win32 makefiles, but hardly anyone fixes
the cmake build files which I can only assume is because it is very rarely
used. We also have this catch 22 - it is incomplete so people use the complete
one instead and then nobody makes the cmake build become complete either.

When we get bug reports on the cmake build system, there's nobody around to
work on the bug or review suggested patches.

Here are the currently open cmake related issues:

   http://curl.haxx.se/bug/view.cgi?id=3494982
   http://curl.haxx.se/bug/view.cgi?id=3494970
   http://curl.haxx.se/bug/view.cgi?id=3494968