Adding SSH agent / pageant integration?

From: Ellié Computing Open Source Program <opensource_at_elliecomputing.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 11:16:06 +0100

Hi,

I am adding SFTP function to our soft and authentication comes in the way.
I’d like to add ssh-agent / pageant integration to libcurl (if it’s not already on the way), so that all the key<->host burden is done once only by the user with the openssh tools or Putty.

The libssh2_agent_ serie of calls is not always asynchronous (it is when connecting to ssh-agent but not pageant, not yet), though I believe it would still be far better to have blocking authentication possible through such an agent than only password or private key file specified ‘by hand’.

To start that work I believe I need a CURLSSH_AUTH_AGENT flag to use in CURLOPT_SSH_AUTH_TYPES.
I would add as well some SSH_AUTH_AGENT_INIT / SSH_AUTH_AGENT states. One question arises: when should I try agent authentication then? I presume that neither private key nor password will be provided when this is requested. So I do it before everything else? and it should lead to SSH_AUTH_DONE if OK right?

Am I in the right direction?
Regards
Armel