Curl + Visual Studio 2010 - Application fails to initialize

From: eli <netloc_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 20:51:09 +0200

I have a weird problem with libcurl and Visual Studio 2010.

There are two PCs i work on, both have the same versions of Windows
and the same versions of Visual Studio. The first is desktop PC and
the second is laptop.

I use the DLLs provided by libcurl-7.19.3-win32-ssl-msvc.zip within an
MFC project.

On desktop PC everything works fine, on the laptop the following error occurs:

    Debugger:: An unhandled non-continuable exception was thrown
during process load
    The program '[2520] submit.exe: Native' has exited with code
-1072365566 (0xc0150002).

If I remove any mention of CURL from the project, everything runs fine
on both the PC and the laptop. So my obvious guess is that curl is the
root of the problem.

During application load this is what I get on the PC:

   Loaded '..\Debug\curllib.dll', Binary was not built with debug information.
   Loaded '..\Debug\ssleay32.dll', Binary was not built with debug information.
   Loaded '..\Debug\libeay32.dll', Binary was not built with debug information.
   Loaded '..\Debug\openldap.dll', Binary was not built with debug information.

I.e. curllib.dll probably initiates the load of ssleay32, libeay32 and openldap.

And this is what I get on the laptop:

   Loaded '..\Debug\curllib.dll', Binary was not built with debug information.
   LDR: LdrpWalkImportDescriptor() failed to probe
..\Debug\curllib.dll for its manifest, ntstatus 0xc0150002

I.e. The DLLs ssleay32, libeay32 and openldap are not loading, and
soon after the application fails to initialize.

Moreover, if I compile on PC and run the EXE on the laptop it still
fails. There is probably something wrong with the DLL setup on laptop.

Does anyone has an explanation for such a weird behavior?