Re: Authentication: header

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 22:43:56 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 10 Feb 2012, Lin Chen wrote:

> I am using curl 7.23. I can use it to send Authentication: Basic if the
> username and password size adds together is not longer than 506 characters.
> Once the total size of username and passwords exceeds 506 characters, I got
> 401 error from the application server. I am wondering if curl has limit in
> generating the Authentication: Basic header?

Yes it does! It in fact limits both user name and password to no more than 255
bytes each. (See the MAX_CURL_* defines in lib/urldata.h around line 1080 or
so.)

I'm sure we could get rid of the limit (assuming someone put some effort into
it) or at least bump it something higher, but are you seriously having a real
world use case with that long data?