Re: Support for authentication DIGEST-MD5 for SMTP

From: Gokhan Sengun <gokhansengun_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2012 19:03:12 +0200

> I think that is the right thread... Dan's email was:
>
> http://curl.haxx.se/mail/lib-2011-08/0320.html
>
> From scanning the emails I think we were talking about generic
> modifications that we could make and code that could be shared between
> other SASL based protocols (IMAP and POP3 for example) ;-)

I see now but given the fact that I am a little stranger to IMAP and POP3
protocols, I do not think I could be able to implement a general feature
anyway :-). However my implementation could be only a start point.

> > I have used "axigen" mail server for tests. What I am looking for is:
> >
> > 1- A code review to justify code's compliance with the RFC 2831
> > 2- Improvements that could be done
> > 3- More tests with other mail servers supporting DIGEST-MD5 to verify
> the new functionality better
> > 4- Inclusion of the code to the new curl build ;)
>
> 1) No problem
> 2) Sure
> 3) I run Mail Enable (Free Edition) and Microsoft Exchange Server myself
> but I honestly don't know if either of these support DIGEST-MD5 and
> unfortunately
> 4) I got a little confused here - Do you mean that you need assistance in
> generating the patch file etc for inclusion in the next build?
>
> It is also worth noting that we are in a feature freeze period until
> v7.24.0 is released so only very minor changes and bug fixes are being
> pushed at the moment.

I have attached the patch now. Please review. I was not aware that we were
in feature freeze period. I think I have missed it? I actually urged to
implement this feature before feature freeze :-) It is actually no big deal
for me since I am using a 7.22.0 based version for production.

With 4th item, I wanted to mean that I really like this feature to be
included in v7.24.0. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks in advance.