Re: blocking on dns resolving

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 09:28:53 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 19 Dec 2011, Pedro Larroy wrote:

> You are completely right about the timeout.
>
> I discovered I was accidentaly linking with -lcurl in addition to the
> libcurl.a compiled with c-ares support so maybe the degradation was due to
> the system libcurl which is not using c-ares.

Oh. Yes, a default (non-Windows) build will use the synchronous name resolver
which will block until done. Recent libcurls can also be built to run the
stock resolver in a separate thread to remain non-blocking without c-ares.

> So I'd have yet to confirm that the degradation will happen with libcurl
> compiled with c-ares. In light of your clarifications it should not happen.

Right. But "should" being an important word there. We might have a bug or two
lurking, who knows!