RE: help: libCURL with epoll

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 22:52:52 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 22 Nov 2011, Kopparapu, Sangeeta (GE Healthcare, consultant) wrote:

> I did not aware that name resolver would make difference. But now, after
> this email, I built libCURL to make use of c-ares library for name
> resolution. Another thing I would like to brought up here is, I use IP
> address in my HTTP request (for e.g.,
> http://190.190.190.190:85/get_me_this_file.jpeg). Is there a way to optimize
> here like bypassing name resolution!!!

When you use plain IP addresses there is no name resolving involved, so the
theories we had around that were wrong!

> unless libcurl went under considerable changes of how it uses c-ares (based
> on 5 second look of Curl_open() it appears it didn't) there shouldn't be any
> performance differences between 7.21.4 and 7.23.1).

First, Curl_open() is in no way critical for speed.

Secondly, you did a 5 second look and could tell that there's no performance
difference?

$ git diff --stat curl-7_21_4..curl-7_23_1 -- lib | tail -1

I would say the opposite: I would be surprised if both those versions would
show the exact same performance...