Re: Performance analysis & issues found with SFTP

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 12:55:27 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 18 Nov 2011, Jonas Schnelli wrote:

> Who else is working on the performance of SFTP with libcurl/libssh2?

I am. I don't get paid for this though, so it gets muxed in together with
everything else in my life and spare time.

I've worked on improving libssh2 transfer speeds on and off during a couple of
years. It has made libssh2 faster, but I'm sure there's more we can do.

I have however not done a lot to make libcurl able to take advantage of
libssh2's recent improvements.

> And hints about the process to make libcurl/libssh2 on SFTP faster?

As I see it, the problem needs to be split in two:

  A - is libssh2 as fast as possible and what can we do to make it so

  B - how can we make libcurl use libssh2 to the max

libcurl can not become faster than libssh2 itself, but on the other hand I'm
convinced that using libcurl rather than libssh2 directly today will be
slower. Possibly much slower.

The A-part is of course best done within the libssh2 project while the B-part
is what we do here.

> We should join forces and build up a proper benchmark/test environment (at
> least windows/linux/mac).

That sounds like a good idea. When doing SFTP testing, it is important that we
add latency to test cases to make them more like real-life, as latency is a
challange to overcome for SFTP.

I'll respond to Patrik's mails separately.