Re: "Server response timeout" after connected to FTP server

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 13:34:41 -0800

On Tue, Nov 08, 2011 at 09:42:20PM +0100, Marcin Adamski wrote:
> I'm sure all above is correct. In main loop I check fd_set and timeout by libcurl's interface and I always set timeout to maximum 500ms. I don't have any other fd set in select, because it is a separate, CURL dedicated thread that performs transfers.
>
> What I suspect is that CURL makes some incorrect magic with these timeouts, because it is all about setting large enough value to make it work. There is not much difference between 15s and 90s, right? It is not 1000 times difference what would solve the problem if I used milisecond instead of second resolution.

People use libcurl all the time to connect to FTP servers without the kinds
of problems you're seeing. What I'm suggesting is that there's a good
chance that the issue you're seeing is not due to a libcurl problem but
rather some problem in the way your app is using libcurl. Since you've given
very little information about your app, I'm inclined to assume that, until
given evidence otherwise. Posting a short program to this list that shows
the problem on a public FTP server would go a long way to finding the source
of the issue.

>>> Dan