Re: kill hung test processes

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 09:14:27 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 8 Nov 2011, Guenter wrote:

> Since it happens every now and then that we get some hung tests, and then
> with next test round tons of skipped tests due to stunnel already running
> and other whoes, I searched a bit for a simple hung killer ...

> + # SIGKILL to "curl|stunnel"

I would prefer we try harder to figure out the actual pids of the stuff the
test suite has invoked, and kill only those. We do try to have all test
servers store their pids in files exactly to enable this.

The problem with the above method is that it'll kill all curl and stunnel
processes your user is running. For example, I do a lot of curl invokes in
crontab jobs etc and then I run the test suites also. Introducing this
unconditional killing will start making my cron jobs fail if they happen to
run when I start the curl test suite!