Problem with CURLE_COULDNT_CONNECT on FTP

From: Jonas Schnelli <jonas.schnelli_at_include7.ch>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2011 08:30:01 +0100

Hi

I'm using libcurl in a mass-upload/download software.
In high load, the software runs every ~seconds a download/upload by FTP (with libcurl).

Under the high-load simulation, after some minutes, curl_easy_perform responses always with a CURLE_COULDNT_CONNECT (7).
But the host is still connectable. Sometimes the CURLE_COULDNT_CONNECT comes for only one try, sometimes it's endless returning CURLE_COULDNT_CONNECT.

I did also try catch a CURLE_COULDNT_CONNECT and do:
curl_easy_cleanup(curl);
curl_global_cleanup();

... and re-init the handle ...

curl_global_init(CURL_GLOBAL_ALL);
curl = curl_easy_init();

But then still get endless:
* couldn't connect to host
* Closing connection #0
CURLE_COULDNT_CONNECT

If i relaunch the application libcurl manages to connect fine as it was before.
i did also check for mem leak: all fine.

If somebody also works with FTP:
How do you handle CURLE_COULDNT_CONNECT?
Do you try to make server tries?

I'm running curl 7.22.0 on a Mac 64Bit with openssl / libssh2.
Server is proftpd on debian lenny.

Thanks for any hint.

---
Jonas