Re: silent automake (was Re: compilation error when cross compiling with mingw-w64 (32 bits))

From: Vincent Torri <vincent.torri_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 22:13:55 +0100

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 9:59 PM, Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se> wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Oct 2011, Vincent Torri wrote:
>
> also, small question about the autotools : is there a reason to not use
>> the silent mode feature of automake ?
>>

> Are you referring to the silent rules etc introduced in automake 1.11 and
> that has portabilty warnings in the manual?
>
> The primary reason would be that we still build releases (and I build my
> dev versions) with automake 1.9.6 since we've not yet found a working later
> version.

with old automake, it's not a problem: after AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE call:

 m4_ifdef([AM_SILENT_RULES], [AM_SILENT_RULES([yes])])

about portability, it depends on 'make'. You know more than me what is
best for curl. As I like it, i just patched the curl releases I use for my
mingw packages.

regards

Vincent Torri