Re: Building libcurl on MS-Windows with UNICODE defined

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2011 23:57:10 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 10 Oct 2011, Tom Bishop, Wenlin Institute wrote:

Thanks for your work and research!

> I don't know whether this significantly affects the operation of libcurl as
> it is actually used. If libcurl needs any of these functions to handle
> non-Latin strings, it will presumably fail.

> Is there any documentation of this issue for libcurl? I don't find any
> mention of it in the source code itself. Excuse me if the issue has already
> been addressed on this mailing list.

No, I don't believe we've discussed this to any particular degree in the past.
At least I can't recall it.

> And, is there any interest in adding support for UNICODE? MS-Windows has
> supported Unicode since 1995, sixteen years ago. Half the world's population
> uses non-Latin scripts, and even for languages such as English, Unicode
> provides useful characters that aren't in the ANSI/Windows code pages.

Well, does the current code cause some kind of problem? The way I read your
mail is that you think there _might_ be problems, but I don't think anyone has
reported/mentioned any up until now and you're not being very specific either
so in my view this is not a criticial issue. But if we can fix problems by
altering the code, and not cause backwards compatible problems, then I'm all
for it!

The only unicode related issue on windows that I can recall is people trying
to use curl_formadd() and pass in a unicode file name path.

I'll certainly appreciate a patch and I hope I can get more Windows savy
people than me to help me review it for correctness.