SMTP stall issue

From: Eduardo Giacoman <giacoman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2011 10:41:58 -0600

Hi all,
I am trying to send emails via SMTP with cURL so I already tried the
examples and they seem to work. However, in my setup it sometimes works and
sometimes it stalls after connecting to the mail server (random issue). I
have made a long search but haven't been able to fix it.

The verbose output is the following:

About to connect() to inxxxxx.com port 25 (#0)
* Trying 200.100.248.160... * connected
* Connected to inxxxxx.com (200.100.248.160) port 25 (#0) <---- It stalls
here for 30 minutes before server timeouts
< 421 Connection timeout.
* Got unexpected smtp-server response: 421
> QUIT
<
* response reading failed
* Closing connection #0
* FTP: weird server reply

The mail server log only says:
SENT: 220 inxxxxx.com ESMTP
SENT: 421 Connection timeout <---- After 30 minutes server timeouts

So based on the error number it seems cURL couldn't parse the ESMTP line
correctly and cURL didn't even send the HELO command to the smtp server.

I am running cURL from Ubuntu inside Virtualbox in a Windows host. The mail
server is in the Windows host. I am using NAT. My C code is basically the
simplesmtp.c example with user and password authentication via curl set
options. Instead of reading from stdin I am using a FILE * opened at the
beginning.

I appreciate your help,

Eduardo