Are timeouts on Easy handles respected in Multi?

From: Martin Lemke <terradepaz_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 14:30:48 +0300

I found some older references that timeouts defined for an Easy handle
are not respected when it is added to a Multi (bug ID 2501457). I have
7.21.3 and it seems that this bug is still there - setting timeout,
connect timeout options on an Easy handle have no effect in Multi.

For the transfer timeouts there are workarounds, however I would like
to have some indications for a connection timeout.

My application is simple, it is using curl_multi_perform and select.
What I currently do is I track the time usage myself and set the
"select" timeout respectively. However when a connect is hung, there
is apparently no indication of it, - which is probably for a reason,
for no activity happens on a socket, - so select doesn't return and
keeps waiting. I mean, there is no indication of the CONNECTTIMEOUT
option having any effect when I call select.

Is it my misunderstanding of the API or the problem is still there? Is
there a workaround?

Thank you,

Martin