Re: Autoconf problems with libcurl after OS upgrade

From: Tor Arntsen <tor_at_spacetec.no>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 11:43:49 +0200

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 11:13, Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se> wrote:
> On Tue, 31 May 2011, Tor Arntsen wrote:
>
>> I upgraded my autobuild environment for Linux 2.6 i686 to the latest
>> Debian SID, which upgraded some of the tools we use:
>
> Ok, I just did the same and it works fine for me, but I found a little
> difference that might help to fill in some clues.
>
>> After:
>> buildconf: autoconf version 2.68 (ok)
>> buildconf: autom4te version 2.68 (ok)
>> buildconf: autoheader version 2.68 (ok)
>> buildconf: automake version 1.7.9 (ok)
>> buildconf: aclocal version 1.7.9 (ok)
>> buildconf: libtool version 2.4 (ok)
>> buildconf: libtoolize found
>> buildconf: GNU m4 version 1.4.16 (ok)
>
> buildconf: autoconf version 2.68 (ok)
> buildconf: autom4te version 2.68 (ok)
> buildconf: autoheader version 2.68 (ok)
> buildconf: automake version 1.9.6 (ok)
> buildconf: aclocal version 1.9.6 (ok)
> buildconf: libtool version 2.4 (ok)
> buildconf: libtoolize found
> buildconf: GNU m4 version 1.4.16 (ok)
> buildconf: running libtoolize
> buildconf: running aclocal
> buildconf: running aclocal hack to convert all mv to mv -f
> buildconf: running autoheader
> buildconf: cp lib/curl_config.h.in src/curl_config.h.in
> buildconf: running autoconf
> buildconf: running in ares
> Useless use of /d modifier in transliteration operator at
> /usr/share/automake-1.9/Automake/Wrap.pm line 60.
>
> I guess I selected automake 1.9 at some point in time where you are still on
> 1.7

Yep. My installation has 1.7.9, 1.8.5, 1.11.1 (but not 1.9) installed.
(For non-Debian'ers: In Debian you can have several sets of some tools
installed, which is more or less a necessity for the autoconf stuff
but sometimes it creates grief.)

> I googled a bit for the "aclocal: macro `_LT_DECL_SED' required but not
> defined" problem and it is clearly showing up in many places. I found some
> references mentioning they "fixed" the problem by bumping to automake 1.8 or
> later.

1.8.5 still had the same problem, but 1.11.1 seems to fix it.
Restarting my build.
Thanks!

-Tor