Re: missing version info in curl_config.h

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 16:42:30 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 24 Apr 2011, Guenter wrote:

>> We (should) use the defines we control ourselves in the include/curl/*
>> tree, as those version defines are well defined and we document our
>> guarantees as how they are created and what they contain.

> hmm, but if they are anyway there why dont we continue to populate them as
> we did in the past?

"We" didn't, configure did. And then configure changed the way they did it and
then we had to change our code to make sense and then this output got
ruined...

We have never made use of the PACKAGE* or VERSION* defines within curl and I
really don't think we should start doing it now either as lots of systems
don't have them defined at build times. Another reason why using our own
defines is a better idea!

> I used to scan curl_config.h for OS and VERSION for getting these values to
> build up a snapshot name for my autobuilds; sure no big prob to rewrite my
> scripts to scan now curlver.h in addition for getting the version string,
> but now I need to scan two files :-(

I think changing your scripts sounds better than the alternative: us making
those defines accurate... We still would ask everyone to NOT use them.