Re: No surprise github pull requests please

From: Julien Chaffraix <julien.chaffraix_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 11:36:28 -0700

> There's just no field available for it. If I would use the tiny short
> description field for it, then the actual description wouldn't fit AND more
> importantly, this text is inherited by the ones who fork the project at
> github as they get the same description automatically.

The README that is provided under the sources on github would be a
good place to add information about contributing. We would expect
potential contributors to read at least that small amount.

> I realize that's the idea behind it, but I consider it somewhat broken and
> shortsighted as it pretty much equals sending a patch in a private email to
> someone and puts a load on a single individual. The cURL project is supposed
> to be a group effort as far as possible!

Just for the record, I think github sends the pull requests to all
committers on the repo which is still sub-optimal. It may be possible
to relay the pull request to the libcURL mailing list though [1] but
the person sending the pull request would miss the discussion if he is
not registered.

Julien

[1] http://support.github.com/discussions/organization-issues/209-pull-request-send-notification-email-to-our-malinglist