Re: Potential integer overflow with write callback

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 16:43:00 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 27 Mar 2011, richardcavell_at_mail.com wrote:

> I have written a Wikipedia bot that is highly portable. It relies on
> libcurl, so I suppose it's only as portable as libcurl is. Yet, I have had
> the idea of porting it to an embedded architecture. It's not inconceivable
> that it could run on a 16-bit size_t machine.

Ok, then please name a 16-bit size_t machine/OS that features a socket API and
enough functionality to run libcurl.

If you find one, and you build libcurl for it, I would expect you to have
quite a few other more significant problems than the size_t in the write
callback (which after all _isn't_ a problem even for 16 bits). It's actually
really hard to write decent modern software to build and run fine on 16bit
architectures while working fine on 32 and 64 bit as well, and libcurl is no
exception.

To my knowledge, nobody ever made libcurl run on a 16bit architecture.