Re: Configure $as_echo does not work on OpenVMS bash.

From: John E. Malmberg <wb8tyw_at_qsl.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 21:34:16 -0500

On 3/23/2011 3:10 AM, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Mar 2011, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
>
>> So as_echo works fine if set:
>>
>> as_echo="echo"
>
> Let me point out that we cannot fix this problem unless we get feedback
> and assistance from someone actually using or knowing OpenVMS. This
> issue will then just be dropped for someone else to deal with in the
> future.

As you see, I submitted the bug do the Debian Autoconf, and Ben Pfaff
did not understand what I was trying to document.

I think he now understands.

It is looking to me that the for the short term, VMS will have to patch
the configure script before running it.

In the long term, the problem may go away with a newer Bash for VMS that
supports either the print or printf built-ins.

Regards,
-John