Re: Configure $as_echo does not work on OpenVMS bash.

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 00:35:47 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 8 Mar 2011, John E. Malmberg wrote:

> Sometime during the 7.19 release, configure was changed to use a macro
> $as_echo that used a shell to do an eval instead of echo for writing out
> status.

Unfortunately that's controlled by autoconf that generates the configure
script and not by the source script (configure.ac) we write. Thus the bug
must've been introduced when I upgraded autoconf on the machine I use to build
releases on... Can you check the top of the configure script of the last one
you know works and see what autoconf version number it says?

> Would it be possible to get a change in the configure script to detect and
> accommodate OpenVMS?

It already tries to detect the best way and if it does it wrong now, it is an
autoconf bug. I did a quick google but I couldn't find any other mention of
poeple having this problem with autoconf on OpenVMS though...