IP addresses of redirected servers

From: Bin Wang <binziwang_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 10:00:45 -0800

Dear all,

We use libcurl with CURLOPT_FOLLOWLOCATION option turned on. We have a need
to obtain the IP addresses of all the servers libcurl tries to connect along
the whole redirection process.

Since libcurl currently does not provide this, I am thinking about extending
libcurl. I can think of two approaches of doing this:

(1) Add a new user provided callback function. Every time when libcurl tries
to connect to a server, the callback function is called with the server IP
address.
(2) Extend "struct PureInfo" (defined in urldata.h) to include a list of IP
addresses. The list is filled when libcurl tries to connect to servers. And
add a new option to retrieve the list of IP addresses.

(1) seems better to me because (2) needs a little bit memory management as
the number of IP addresses is not known in the beginning.

I'd like to know if you guys have any opinion on these two approaches. If
you think there is a better approach, please suggest.

Thanks a lot,
Bin