Re: [Patches] Netrc cleanup

From: Julien Chaffraix <julien.chaffraix_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 08:06:36 -0800

>> I think we should remove the _NETRC_DEBUG and DEBUGBUILD code (and the use
>> of the environment variable) from netrc.c and instead have the unit test
>> code specify the path to the test file(s) in the Curl_parsenetrc() invokes.

It's not an all-or-nothing answer. I have provided a way of giving the
path to unit tests while keeping this debug code. However I consider
that a work-around for something more though-of.

> Oh, and I should also clarify that it would mean that we remove the old
> netrc tests as they wouldn't work anymore...

I disagree here. Unit tests are not a replacement for system level
testing IMHO. Unit tests are complementary to the existing tests that
checks that netrc parsing + ftp works. Thus I disagree with removing
any tests unless we can prove that they are superseeded by the unit
tests.

I mentioned at least one way to remove this code while keeping the
test: namely that curl could have --netrc-file option. Daniel, I
haven't heard your objection to this (rough) proposal though. Maybe
there is another way to provide that option for test that needs the
'netrc' feature like a custom tool?

Thanks!
Julien