Re: [patch] Ignore specific IPs in connections

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 20:04:27 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 5 Jan 2011, Johan van Selst wrote:

> Furthermore, at the moment DNS is completely handled internally by libcurl -
> with features for DNS caching, asynchronous resolving etc. I'm not really
> looking forward to moving this burden to the application itself without good
> reason.

But with that logic, how do you envision your app will use CURLOPT_IGNORE_IPS?

I mean, say it gets a 500 back and it can figure out the IP that was used with
curl_easy_getinfo(), but it can't know that the server had multiple addresses
without doing some resolving itself, can it?. So will you then always block
the IP with the failed 500-request and retry?

There's not even a way for the app to figure out if all the IPs for the host
name is blocked so when a single-IP host returns 500 and you block that,
you can't connect anymore but you can't really tell the reason...

I'm still undecided about the feature in question, and I think learning more
about the use case and ideas around it will help me and others get a better
understanding and feel for it.