Re: [patch] Ignore specific IPs in connections

From: Dirk Manske <dm_at_nonitor.de>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 14:48:56 +0100

(I hope this mail does not apear twice, I sent it first with a
wrong identity, which should be dropped by the list...duh!)

On Wednesday 05 January 2011 13:55:48 Johan van Selst wrote:
> The attached patch adds an option to blacklist certain IP addresses for
> a specific connection. I use this in an environment with many DNS
> load-balanced webservers. Sometimes one of these servers consistently
> throws errors (e.g. HTTP 500 Internal error), while others work fine.
>
> Curl already does automatic fail-over to another address if a connection
> is refused, but there is no way to connect to ignore a specific server
> in a DNS load-balanced setup when it is reachable. With this patch one
> can retry a request that failed to provide a usable result, while
> 'blacklisting' the specific address that produced this result. This way
> one can still quickly get a sensible result from another server, unless
> all of them fail.
In my humble opinion this a strange "solution", but rather a workaround.

When that randomly broken Server becomes really dead, then your testing
will not notice this breakdown, but real users could notice that.

I would test all servers directly (URL with IP, and host entry in the header).
And to calculate the overall availabilty you could cummulate the single host
test results.

Just my 2 cents,
Dirk