Re: curl unit testing

From: Vincent Torri <vincent.torri_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2011 17:28:24 +0100

Hey,

On Sat, Jan 1, 2011 at 4:13 PM, Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se> wrote:

> I would *REALLY* like to have the full test code bundled with curl and not
> depend on a separate download/package to get a decent test suite, and I find
>
>> 500K for a unittest for C quite much. Did anyone of you see how much we
>> would
>>
> need to copy to get a working check bundled?

500 Kb: you mean the tarball ? Because if you look at the source code
itself, it's 120 Kb (the other files are mostly autotools one, around 460
Kb) and if you look at the library, the static one is about 38Kb. Not a lot.
Also, these days, package managers can install it easily. What's the problem
with using an external tool for unit testing ? If you use your own unit
testing framework, you duplicate code (hence more work, possible bugs in
your unit testing code).

Btw, as we are speaking of unit testing, what we are doing with our unit
testing is code coverage: use of gcov and lcov to have html output of the
coverage of the unit tests. If you are interested, i have written m4 macro
to integrate sich process quite easily in configure.ac (Makefile.am stuff is
also very easy).

regards

Vincent Torri