Re: alternative VC Makefiles

From: Vincent Torri <vincent.torri_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 14:48:22 +0100

Hey,

On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 2:24 PM, Pierre Joye <pierre.php_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> The main issue with sln is that they are versions specific. It would
> be possible to generate dsw for VC6 but for VC8/7/9/10 it is trickier,
> while possible. However you can use cmake instead, it will generate
> sln if desired.

Visual Studio IDE upgrades automatically older solutions/projects. So just
write one. For me, just drop everything below Visual Studio 2008. They
indeed provide too old compilers without good standard support. You can
still support VS 2005. but VC6 and VC7 are just crappy compilers. That's
what I do for the dozen of libraries I maintain on Windows.

cmake is not an option for me: horrible syntax, no 'help' option like
configure, cross compilation is a real pain. I can't understand why people
like it. It's a matter of taster though and I just give my point of view
about cmake. Others like it, it seems.

> About the debugger, if you use a non express version of Visual Studio,
> you can enable the JIT debugger (what I do), which provides everything
> you may need. Express editions sadly do not support JIT debugging.
> WinDBG is an alternative as well.

It's not a matter of what you use and do, it's a matter of most of Windows
developers use. And most of them will not use a Makefile. On the contrary,
most of them will use Visual Studio.

Vincent Torri