Re: Patch: OpenSSL Server Name Indication value should match custom Host header

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 22:54:55 -0700

On Fri, Nov 05, 2010 at 10:59:36PM +0100, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> Okay, attached here is a first draft of what I had in mind. It seems
> to work to add entries. I tried with a command line like this:
>
> $ ./src/curl --resolve www.haxx.se:80:127.0.0.1 www.haxx.se -v

What's the purpose of resolving based on port number as well as IP address?
That makes it more than the simple DNS-based resolving I would have
expected. It means that things like redirects from http: to https: would
need two resolve entries, transfers using multiple protocols on the same
server would need multiple entries, and redirects from one port to an
arbitrary and heretofore unknown port couldn't be done at all without
adding 64K resolve entries first. This use/abuse of the DNS cache does look
like a fairly clean way of accomplishing this, though.

> that it allows the name from the URL to be used for TLS SNI and servert

Typo: servert

>>> Dan