Re: Patch: OpenSSL Server Name Indication value should match custom Host header

From: Michael Wood <esiotrot_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 15:15:50 +0200

On 5 November 2010 10:06, Peter Sylvester <peter.sylvester_at_edelweb.fr> wrote:
> hi,
>
> On 11/04/2010 11:35 PM, Hongli Lai wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 11:19 PM, Peter Sylvester
>> <peter.sylvester_at_edelweb.fr>  wrote:
[...]
>>> If one wants to connect to a particular IP address
>>> in order to go to  https://some.domain/ then the
>>> problem could be regarded as a "proxy issue",
>>> instead of a proxy that uses CONNECT, one could
>>> invent a direct/immediate proxy type.
>>> So instead of resolving the DNS for a direct connection,
>>> one would use connect to this "proxy".
>>
>> That would require me to setup a proxy server, and for what gain? Just
>> to make an HTTP library do what I want?
>
>  let's take a strawman like
>
>   --proxy  ip-address --proxyport 0  or DIRECT or another parm.

I think he just misunderstood what you meant by proxy. i.e. you meant
a sort of virtual proxy that only lives inside libcurl's head, but he
thought you mean e.g. installing Squid.

> or
>   --resolve  host.example.com:ipaddress

I prefer this since to me it seems more like what is actually
required. You want to connect to host.example.com, but you want to do
the DNS resolution manually instead of through a normal resolver.

--
Michael Wood <esiotrot_at_gmail.com>