Re: SMTP SSL does not start, no authentication (was empty subject)

From: Michael Wood <esiotrot_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 22:27:05 +0200

Hi

On 20 October 2010 20:16, Alona Rossen <arossen_at_opentext.com> wrote:
[...]
> [...]
[...]
> I followed your advise and ran cURL on Solaris with --libcurl <file>
> option.
> Attcahed gmail_source.txt contains the outputted source code.
> Why was URL modified? Please explain added extension to the URL string
> submitted in CURLOPT_URL. The submitted string was
> "smtp://sttp.gmail.com:587".

Based on the log it seems to use the part after the slash as the
hostname to use in the EHLO command. This should be the host name of
the client machine, so try using:
smtp://smtp.gmail.com:587/your.host.name as the URL. I don't know
where it's getting the smtp_test.txt from.

> I attempted to create a test example based on the source output.
> However, this test example hangs indefinitely or times out if time out
> is set up. This is the consol output:
>
> About to connect() to smtp.gmail.com port 587 (#0)
[...]
> < 220 mx.google.com ESMTP t14sm308568yhc.8
>> EHLO smtp_test.txt
> < 250-mx.google.com at your service, [199.85.101.2]
[...]

So gmail didn't mind your EHLO smtp_test.txt, but some mail servers
will reject the SMTP session if the hostname specified in the EHLO
command is not a valid hostname according to DNS.

>> STARTTLS
> < 220 2.0.0 Ready to start TLS
> * SSL connection using RC4-MD5
[...]
> *        SSL certificate verify result: unable to get local issuer
> certificate (20), continuing anyway.

Looks like SSL is working.

>> EHLO smtp_test.txt
> < 250-mx.google.com at your service, [199.85.101.2]
[...]

Strange. I wouldn't expect cURL to issue the EHLO command again.

>> AUTH PLAIN XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
> < 235 2.7.0 Accepted

OK, so login succeeded.

>> MAIL FROM:<alona.rossen_at_gmail.com>
> < 250 2.1.0 OK t14sm308568yhc.8

This looks fine.

> 0* server response timeout

hmmm... It seems like cURL was expecting something from the server
still when it should have been sending the "RCPT TO" command.

>  0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:--  0:03:00 --:--:--
> 0> QUIT
>
> * server response timeout

Here it seems the server did not respond properly to the QUIT command.

--
Michael Wood <esiotrot_at_gmail.com>