Re: some man page observations ...

From: Guenter <lists_at_gknw.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 23:31:55 +0200

Am 27.09.2010 17:04, schrieb Daniel Stenberg:
> I update that field once in a while when I remember it. I'm not aware of
> anything that really uses it or care about what date it says.
Its displayed at the end; f.e. if you call:
man ./docs/curl.1
and scroll to the end the date and version which is mentioned in .TH is
displayed ...
well, since I'm always trying to learn sed a bit better :) I would be
willing to hack something which we could integrate into maketgz; but
since at least the dates are inconsistent it would be easier if we would
put placeholders into the man pages, f.e. @@DATE@@ and @@VERSION@@ ...

>> The reason why I checked through the man pages was mainly because I
>> was looking for way to easily create the other manual formats on Win32
>> platform, and specially also to create a .chm ... for this I found
>> halibut: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/halibut/ but
>> unfortunately it has its own format, and so it would be required to
>> convert the existing man pages to the halibut input format ... but the
>> benefit would then be that we could output all other formats with one
>> tool which seems to run on every platform (I did already compile a
>> halibut Win32 executable) ...
>
> Sounds like an easy enough system that could work. Have you tried
> converting one of our man pages into this Halibut format to see how a
> typical input file would look like?
not yet - I'm at 1st step where I try to understand and learn about what
the man macros all mean ...; my idea was to hack a Perl script which
does the conversion from man to halibut, and if halibut then outputs a
man page which is close to identical to the source man then I'm probably
on the right track :)
but that needs some time ...
of course any pointers or ideas or hints are welcome!
The halibut input format is described here:
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/halibut/doc-1.0/input.html#input

Gün.