Re: curl_multi and failed connections

From: Apurva Mehta <apurva_at_mathmeth.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 17:41:15 -0700

Thanks much for your response. My comments are inline.

>> [ In the following, the libcurl version is 7.19.4 and it is running on
>> RHEL4u7 (linux kernel 2.6.9-80). ]
>
> As always, getting the latest libcurl and trying that first is a good start.
> Even if you can't easily upgrade your product or whatever it is still very
> useful information and helps a lot.

I hear you, but see below.

>> So it seems like there was an error in connection establishment and
>> somehow libcurl cannot detect that and keeps spinning expecting data on the
>> socket. The process in question has been spinning for several hours now.
>
> Can you reproduce it easily? If so, what does it take to repeat it? (This is
> less important if the bug isn't present in 7.21.1 anymore...)

Not so far. As far as I can tell, this happens every few days for
processes doing a fixed workload. If this happens due to a transient
network glitch, I reckon that it will be quite hard to reproduce
reliably.

>> Is this a known issue? Are there any suggested workarounds?
>
> I don't recognize the sympthoms but we've done 7 releases since in which
> we've fixed at least 212 bugs.

I see your point. At least half of my question is answered by knowing
that you have not seen this before :-)

I will dig in further to figure out what exactly is going on and share
my findings (if any). If we can figure out what the problem is, we can
have more confidence that a newer version actually fixes it.

Thank you,
Apurva