Re: contributing to curl

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 00:51:18 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010, Amr Shahin wrote:

> i'm interested in contributing to curl. What's a good place to start ?

You're very welcome!

Here's what I suggest (and please remember that this is just a suggestion.
There's no rights or wrongs regarding where to start, how to join in or what
to do, it's all up to you and your preferences):

1. Read docs/CONTRIBUTE (http://curl.haxx.se/docs/contribute.html)

1b (of course you use source code straight off the git repo)

2. Consider if there are any quirks or bugs or documentation problems that
    have bothered you or that you've been missing or lacking. The grab one of
    those issues.

3. Read the KNOWN_BUGS and TODO documents to get inspiration of areas that
    need attention.

4. Follow this mailing list and the curl-tracker one to spot when new bugs
    are reported - as they of course need work to investigate, figure out and
    then fix. Oh, and if you find bugs of your own we of course appreciate
    bug reports!

5. Responding to emails on the list and thus helping out when people have
    problems or issues is also a valuable help in the curl community.

And if there's anything that's weird, wrong or just not making sense or
whatever: just ask here!

BTW, I forgot the perhaps most important thing: make sure you have a good time
while doing all this!