POP3 listing

From: Alona Rossen <arossen_at_opentext.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 14:10:39 -0400

Hello,

Has libcurl POP3 functionality been updated according to Ben's
suggestions below?

From: Ben Greear <greearb_at_candelatech.com
<mailto:greearb_at_candelatech.com?Subject=Re:%20pop3%20seems%20broken?>

Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 13:36:56 -0700

On 03/26/2010 07:13 AM, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Mar 2010, Ben Greear wrote:
>
>> I tried using pop3 to download an email. From the network trace
below,
>> it seems maybe it should do a LIST instead of RETR, and then RETR one

>> or more of the IDs that the LIST returns?
>
> That might very well be true. The recently added protocols I did:
POP3,
> IMAP and SMTP are all rather early and untested implementations so far

> and we need to smoothen out the sharp corners on them to make them
good
> and useful.
>
> The POP3 code assumes that you tell it an inbox to get with RETR in
the
> URL. I figure we should perhaps allow a trailing slash to let it do
LIST
> (FTP-style) so that an app can figure out what's possible to get.

How about something like this:

pop://user:passwd_at_mail.co.com
<mailto:passwd_at_mail.co.com?Subject=Re:%20pop3%20seems%20broken?>
   # Returns the result of LIST

pop://user:passwd_at_mail.co.com
<mailto:passwd_at_mail.co.com?Subject=Re:%20pop3%20seems%20broken?> /1
   # Returns email ID 1 with: RETR 1

 From a very brief reading of the rfc, pop3 has no concept of
folders...everything
is just 'inbox'.

It would be nice to be able to specify that curl should send RSET as
well
so that it doesn't have to modify (by marking as read) the messages.

Thanks,

Alona