Re: Speed performances of curl library

From: <johansen_at_opensolaris.org>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 09:29:26 -0700

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 11:50:48PM +0200, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Jun 2010, gonzague.debus_at_centraliens-lille.org wrote:
>
> >I wrote a script in python (few months ago ) in order to download
> >files from a server, using urllib and urllib2.
> >
> >I re implemented this script in c++ using libcurl, in order to
> >integrate it in a previous c++ project.
> >
> >The downloads rates are much lower with libcurl.
>
> This is quite the opposite of most other comparisons I've seen in the past.

Indeed. The OpenSolaris pkg(5) team switched from urllib[2] to pycurl
because the default Python libraries were lacking most recent HTTP
features. Our project team has been quite pleased with the performance
of curl.

Perhaps you could provide some information about the experiments you
performed, and their results.

-j